Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 23:52:03 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Thomas M. Sommers" <tms2@mail.ptd.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The desktop apathy?  I think not.

Thomas M. Sommers <tms2@mail.ptd.net> types:
> It is one thing to incorporate BSD-licensed code in a larger product,
> and quite another to try to sell a proprietary version of a free
> product.  Also note that I referred to commodity hardware; selling
> BSD-licensed code in conjuction with proprietary hardware would be much
> easier.

GPL-licensed code can also be sold in conjunction with proprietary
hardware. Witness Tivo. It looks like they're going to get rolled over
by MS, though. That has nothing to do with their incorporating GPL'ed
code into their business. MS would have the same effect if they had
used BSD-licensed code.

	<mike