Date:      Tue, 18 Jun 1996 11:08:33 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        rich@rich.isdn.bcm.tmc.edu
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, sef@kithrup.com, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape drive questions/recommendations

Rich Murphey stands accused of saying:

> |All of the units you've listed are 'true' 4mm DAT units.  I'm no fan of
> |Exabytes, as they have a fascist repair policy and their spare parts are
> |astronomically expensive 8(, so keep on ignoring them 8)
>
> Just for comparison, I just had a WangDAT 3200 repaired
> by the factor (now Tekmar) and they charged a flat fee
> of $300.  I wonder how Sony and HP compare on repairs?
> If they are  more reasonable I'd switch.

Well, for comparison, Exabyte's fixed-price repair policy here in
Australia is AUD$800 flat.  I have a unit here with a dead 'CD' board
(data seperator).  It's about 2"x4", contains a handful of surface-mount
logic and was quoted to me at AUD$700 replacement.

As for the Sonys, we've never had to get them fixed, so I don't actually
know what they're like.