Date:      Thu, 9 Aug 2001 14:06:15 +0200 (CEST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Fabrizio=20Ravazzini?= <freefabri@yahoo.it>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMTP very very slow!

Hello all, just for a test I've installed FreeBSD 4.3
on an old 486 in order to study the way to build a
mail server.
I've installed Q-mail, tested the smtp telnetting in
the port 25 and also sending mails with my other
machine running Linux in the same Lan and I observed
that the mail server was very fast, all worked well.
So I decided to install vpopmail,
courier-imap,sqwebmail and qmailadmin on Apache.
After the installation all the services worked well.
The problem is that sending mail for example with
netscape or pine on the Linux box the smtp of my
server was very slow.
I tried to telnet on the port 25 of the FreeBSD box
but the daemon hanged me there for several minutes and
then answered and all worked ok.
This also for the pop3, when I try to poll the FreeBSD
machine I have to wait several minutes to get an
answer, but after that all works well.
The other services,like sqwebmail,Imap, telnet ftp
they works very fast and the response is immediate.
So why the pop3 & smtp are so slow?
I checked the coaxial cable and the sk ethernet but
they are ok.
This is my small Lan:

Linux Box     FreeBSD Mailserver     OpenBSD
(Client)      Qmail,vpopmail...      Gateway/NAT
192.168.0.2    192.168.0.3             192.168.0.1

Can someone help me?

Many thanks in advance
Fabrizio