Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 19:30:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, mike@smith.net.au, shocking@prth.pgs.com, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LD_PRELOAD & Linux emulation

> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Søren Schmidt wrote:
>
> > I hope to have a heavy debug session tonight with my alternative
> > pipe implementation (you guessed it the old socketbased one), I'll
> > let you know what I find out...
> > I have a test program that works under linsux and fails under the
> > linuxulator, so I should be able to get some results...
>
> Eagerly waiting...  :)
>
> What happens with Sybase: data and transaction logs dumps are
> handled by a dedicated backup server process.  The backup server
> handles getting data from the database and then passes the data
> via a pipe to a subprocess (an exec()'d program) that does the
> actual i/o to the disk or tape.  The link between the backup
> server and this i/o subprocess fails.

SOunds much like the problem I have with Oracle, the svrmgrl control
program forks the oracle instance, then the pipe communication dies
on a read.

> I have some ktrace output, but I'm not sure how reliable it is
> since the i/o process behaves differently when traced than when
> not traced.

I have a simple test program that works when compiled and run on
Linsux, but fails under the emu (it works natively on FreeBSD after
the last commit to popen though).