Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 23:32:39 +0100
From:      "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
To:        "John Baldwin" <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.org>, "Gilbert Gong" <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
Subject:   Re: Microsoft Advocacy?

John writes:

> Some said (rough paraphrase):
>
> FreeBSD is suitable for use as a desktop for
> specific circumstances.
>
> This is equivalent to:
>
> FreeBSD is suitable for use as a desktop for
> at least one circumstance.
>
> Jeremiah replied with:
>
> "I do not agree."
>
> Which is equivalent to:
>
> FreeBSD is not suitable for use as a desktop
> for at least one circumstance.
>
> Which is equivalent to:
>
> FreeBSD is not suitable for use as a desktop
> for any circumstance.

Your logic is flawed.  Your last two conclusions do not follow from the
first three statements.

Consider this:

SomeoneBelieves = OSFree && Suitability && Desktop && Specific;
JeremiahBelieves = !(OSType && Suitability && Desktop && Specific);

Some  Jere  OSFree  Suitability Desktop Specific
true  false  true       true      true    true
false true   true       true      true    false
false true   true       true      false   true
     [...]
false true   false      false     false   false

Notice that there are multiple values of each variable that would make
JeremiahBelieves true, and not just one.  Therefore you cannot conclude that
one of the variables (Specific = specific circumstances, as opposed to any
circumstances) has necessarily changed state to make JeremiahBelieves true;
any one of the variables changing to false will make JeremiahBelieves true.
Therefore your conclusion above does not follow logically.

Now I'm getting worried about spin mutexes and locks.  Are you completely
sure about those?