Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2010 22:06:07 -0600
From:      Chad Perrin <perrin@apotheon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: which is the basic differences between the shells?

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

On Sun, Jun 06, 2010 at 10:06:28AM -1000, parv@pair.com wrote:
>=20
> I cannot say about the tcsh features.

That's kind of a shame, since tcsh is what I prefer these days, having
long since given up on bash (pretty much immediately after I started
using FreeBSD as my primary OS instead of bash, and realized I preferred
the csh-style syntax).

>=20
> I switched from bash to zsh mainly for excellent vi-mode editing
> support, more so over multiple lines.  ksh & bash were horrible in
> that respect.

I've never really tried using vi-mode editing in any shell, despite the
fact I'm a constant vi user (even a vi gangsta, one might say).  Maybe I
should some day.  Thus far, though, I don't even know if tcsh supports
vi-mode editing.

>=20
> Recently I have found that regular expression like [a-d] (instead of
> {a,b,c,d}) in file name generation work as expected.  zsh has more
> ways to help file name generation which I have not looked into yet.
>=20
> And of course, as stated earlier, compatibility between a bourne
> shell script & an interactive shell helps immensely while
> developing|debugging a script.

This is another area where I just haven't run into the need for that sort
of thing.  When I use a regex at the command prompt, it's via grep,
basically -- I don't tend to get more fancy than something like globbing.
For scripting, I stick to sh and "real" programming languages like Perl
and Ruby.  I'm not terribly clear on tcsh's regex support, and I guess if
I needed shell compatibility when writing a shell script (which, for me,
is usually just a batch file, perhaps with a little flow control and a
variable or two) I can always just start sh.

--=20

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1

--E/DnYTRukya0zdZ1--