Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 1998 09:50:28 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        CHOI Junho <junker@jazz.snu.ac.kr>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to 'make release' using anonCVS?

> Tell me what to do and I'll fix it :-).

Great!  Either (a) the anoncvs user needs to be able to update
${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT/val-tags, or (b) the contents of the file need
to be fixed manually.

Pardon my vagueness in the following, but I know virtually nothing
about how anoncvs works.

For (a), first try to determine whether anoncvs has write permissions
in the subdirectories of the respository.  I don't mean look at the
code; just check a few directories and see what their permissions
are.  I don't really know anything about anoncvs, but it seems like
write permission would be necessary in order to create lock files.
If it looks like anoncvs is expected to have such write permission,
then fix the ${CVSROOT}/CVSROOT directory so that anoncvs has write
permission there as well.  You might also have to make the val-tags
file writable, but I doubt it.  Usually cvs updates a file by making a
new copy and then renaming it into place.  So it's the directory that
needs the write access, not the file itself.

If it looks like anoncvs is not supposed to write in any
directories, then proceed to plan (b).

(b) is just a work-around, but it's simple.  Edit the val-tags file,
and you'll understand its format right away.  Add a new entry for
RELENG_2_2_7_RELEASE and for any other valid tags that you think
people might need.  Be sure you don't add any tags that don't actually
exist, though.  Once the entries are in place, anoncvs shouldn't need
to update the file, and the bug will be circumvented.

Thanks,
John