Date:      Wed, 19 Jun 1996 12:23:56 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> Because all of the 'Berkeley' targets don't work.
>
> 'make depend all install clean cleandir obj' etc.. are *useful* (nay
> critical) for some installations.

Another strawman argument, I'm afraid.  Through encapsulation it would
easily be possible to make ALL of these work, and with minimal
perturberation to the package.  You want NOPROFILE to be passed
through when that's applicable?  Fine.  You want obj, clean and
cleandir to work?  Fine.  I already did that for bsd.port.mk, in fact.
You want your debugging flags passed in?  No problem.  I looked at
providing *all* of these for the TCL port and, while I only
implemented the ones I thought were critical (obj and cleandir), the
rest were pretty trivial.  For most, if not all, of the GNU ports I've
looked at analogs exist for pretty much all of our standard bmake
operations.

As I said in my last mail, the obj link wart is our biggest hurdle and
I'd just as soon see it die anyway (and that is NOT a new position on
my part - I've been complaining about the stupid things for 2 years
now).

I'm also all for backing this out and getting on with our lives, but I
just thought I'd defend what I thought was a little unfair criticism
of the proposed mechanism's shortcomings.  Whatever else its
shortcomings, you can do a LOT of "homogenization" through the
ports-style Makefile wrapper.

					Jordan