Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2019 22:38:44 +0100
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?Morgan_Wesstr=c3=b6m?= <freebsd-database@pp.dyndns.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Root volume renumbered unexpectedly, no longer boots

On 2019-12-13 21:57, Matthew Pounsett wrote:
> After powering the system back up, it looks
> like the boot volume has been renumbered from da0 to da4.
>
> There is a new wrinkle... since booting from a USB stick so that I could
> get into the box and double-check some things, and confirm the location of
> the root volume, the BIOS no longer seems to see da4 as a potential boot
> volume.

First thing I would check is the SATA controller mode in BIOS and make
sure it didn't switch from AHCI to IDE/Legacy/RAID (or whatever you used
to run it as). This assuming the SSD is connected to the mainboard
controller of course.

I'm not saying this is what happened but at least we could get that
possibility out of the way.

Regards
Morgan