Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 1995 20:33:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brian@mediacity.com (Brian Litzinger)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   oddities figured out

DNS.  Somewhere down the line DNS was not responding.  Apparently
after some timeout the nameserver used /etc/hosts instead.  This
confused me 'cuz I came from the BSDI world were we didn't have
this feature.

As to the passwd permission denied.  /usr/bin/passwd was owned by
bin instead of root.

I understand the DNS problem.  How /usr/bin/passwd got owned by
bin I suppose I'll never know.

This just goes to show you the many healing properties of posting to the
net or mailing lists.

I spent may 2 hours struggling with the problems. Though once I
posted to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, all became clear and in a
matters of minutes all was better.

Brian Litzinger
brian@easynet.com