Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 18:39:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        hamilton@pobox.com (Jon Hamilton)
Cc:        marko@uk.radan.com, tlambert@primenet.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The GPL and the Robinson-Patman Act

> From the FSF perspective, _free_ refers to freedom, not to price.

The correct word for this is "liberty", not "freedom".

The use of "free" is because the antecedant to "liberty" that bears
the same relationship as "free" does to "freedom" is "liberated".

The phrase "liberated software" stikes too close to the truth of
the matter in its connotations, even if its denotation is correct.

As in "John Dillinger liberated the money from the bank", or
"The libertines attacked once again, but the duly elected
governemnt sent soldiers in to protect the lives of the peace
loving citizenry".

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---