Date:      Sat, 23 Sep 2017 16:37:24 -0600
From:      Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org" <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: EXTRA_PATCHES considered harmful?

> On 23 Sep, 2017, at 15:39, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:
>=20
> currently if you set EXTRA_PATCHES and the port you are making decides =
to build a second port as a dependency, EXTRA_PATCHES is passed to the =
second port which them obiously fails to patch it.
>=20
> e.g.  cd /usr/ports/emulators/open-vm-tools-nox11; Make =
EXTRA_PATCHES=3D/foo/bar/patch1
>=20
> will fail when it tries to apply the patch files to each dependency.
>=20
> AM I doing something wrong here?

Hi Julian,

I think EXTRA_PATCH_TREE is a better option for what you're looking for. =
You put patches in there in a tree that gets essentially overlaid on the =
ports tree.

EXTRA_PATCH_TREE=3D/usr/patches
Then put your patch1 in /usr/patches/emulators/open-vm-tools-nox11

# Adam

--=20
Adam Weinberger
adamw@adamw.org