Date:      Wed, 13 May 1998 16:13:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ted Stein <ted@taki.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

On Wed, 13 May 1998, Andrew Short wrote:

> RedHat goes a long way toward making Linux viable to more users.  FreeBSD
> doesn't have a "RedHat".  FreeBSD NEEDS a RedHat.  Walnut Creek is NOT
> being "that entity" for FreeBSD.

	On the contrary. One of the things that distinguishes FreeBSD from
Linux is that we DON'T have a RedHat. Nor a Slackware, a Debian, etc, for
that matter. RedHat bins won't run on other systems, and the like with
Slackware Debian Caldera SuSE WHATEVER. We don't want multiple
distributions.

> Yes Linux has an almost rabid following, but as far as actual promotion
> (of the sane kind) quite a bit of it comes from commercial entities who
> scream at the top of their corporate lungs, "LINUX!!!"  I don't think
> anyone who runs FreeBSD does that, at least I don't see it happening from
> my "consumer" chair.
>
> I had NO idea that Yahoo! and Walnut creek ran on FreeBSD until I started
> DIGGING to find out something about FreeBSD.  The odd site here and there
> posts chucky on their page so it does get some coverage and before I
> started becoming interested, I knew it existed and I knew it was viable,
> but that's _it_.  I did not know that it could be used for a wide variety
> of applications, NOR that it was viable on the desktop.

	True. It would definitely be nice if Yahoo! would mention
somewhere that they run FreeBSD. We need to pitch to them. The daemon is
rather cute, no? It'd certainly attract some mean eyes, though, but I'm
sure you get my point; if a big site like Yahoo! would preach FreeBSD, to
an extent, at least, we could compete (compete, not eliminate the
competition) with Linux's commercial support.

 /)_(\ | Ted Stein	      |	ted@taki.net	       |
(/. .\)| CGI/Backend	      |	http://www.taki.net    |
 \(T)/ | taki solutions, inc. |	Web Design and Hosting |
 ()-() |  "Chicken Little only has to be right once."  |