Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 14:48:57 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        "Chris R." <gurab@lineone.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>
Subject:   Re: Mouse Mats

On Sat,  2 May 1998 at 15:13:45 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:
> On Sat, May 02, 1998 at 10:44:13AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Fri,  1 May 1998 at 16:52:54 +0100, Chris R. wrote:
>>> ok heres the current situation: -
>>>
>>> I have found a local printer who can run off full colour (any
>>> mixtures) mouse mats with our chosen design.
>>> There is no start up cost, the mats are the rubber / fabric combo
>>> discussed and the minimum order is 100.
>
>> Sorry if I seem so negative, but I'm sure that we can get a better
>> deal.
>
> Let's find out. I'm on a small international mailing list for screen
> printers. Should I ask for quotes? If so, how many are we looking at?
> Single colour printing? (Sorry, I haven't followed this thread much)

Well, while we're waiting for the rest of the world to wake up, here's
my take (and I'm not in charge either :-).

We have two possibilities:

1.  We make enough for the people who want one.  In this case, we
    should orient ourselves by the numbers of teeshirts and mugs that
    WC has sold.  We should also get WC to market them, maybe even to
    arrange to have them made.  My guess is in the 1000 to 5000 range.

2.  We use them as an advertisment.  In this case, we're probably
    looking at 10 times the number, and the pad should have a brief
    description of the product and how to get it written on the
    underside.

Either way, I think we need the involvement of Walnut Creek.  They've
been very interested in the past, but teeshirts are relatively
expensive, and mugs were too fragile.  The daemon is a catchy looking
thing, and people might buy them even if they're not (yet) interested
in FreeBSD.  Jordan, your call.

Greg