Date:      Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:06:53 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        cjc26@cornell.edu, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recipies [was Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/calendar/calendars calendar.history]

On Aug 08, 1999 at 01:23:03AM +0200, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 09, 1999 at 06:31:09PM -0400, cjc26@cornell.edu wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
> >
> > > Darn it, now you've gone and made me hungry.  I definitely fall into
> > > the latter category (haveing someone else cook for me), so I'm going
> > > to pester my wife to make gravlax this week.  :-)
> >
> > To make *what*??  "Gravlax"??
>
> Graved[1] Salmon[2], to do an exact translation.  It is an old
> norwegian dish involving treating the fish with caustic soda and
> spices, and leaving it to itself for a while.  It tastes good with
> scrambled eggs, and is traditionally served at christmas breakfast.
>
> If anybody want an exact recipie, I can look it up - I've not made it
> myself, and it is a number of years since I've participated when my
> parents made it.

This is what we use:

	1 large whole salmon (deboned)
	1 cup kosher salt or sea salt
	1 1/2 cup sugar
	1 tablespoon coarse peppercorns
	lots of fresh dill (not chopped)
	1 cup aquavit

Put the salmon (filet side up) in a non-metallic tray large enough to
contain all the juice.  Mix everything together and pack 3/4 of it
inside the salmon.  Close the salmon, and put the rest of the mixture
on top.  Cover with waxed paper, and weight the whole thing down with
something heavy (bricks, cans or whatever is handy).  Place in
refrigerator for 48 hours, turning salmon over every 12 hours.

When done, open the fish and scrape off the mixture, keeping some of
the dill.  Use more fresh dill for garnish.  Slice thinly from end,
following the fish's "grain".  Serve with honey mustard, on crispbread
or equivalent.  It makes a nice appetizer, smorgasbroad dish, or
can just be used for snacking on.

You can leave the aquavit out unless you like the taste.  For those
of you who don't know what this is, it's a traditional scandinavian
liquor that's served ice-cold, and tastes like molten black licorice.
(oops, that last drew a glare from my wife).
--
Jonathan