Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 21:16:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      Alexander Litvin <archer@whichever.org>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with appletviewer in jdk1.2.2b10

In article <20001107132557.A98990@fling.sanbi.ac.za> you wrote:

>> As I understand, you just delete /usr/lib/libgcc.so (that's symlink,
>> the real library is still there, just in case ;), and rebuild your
>> jdk1.2.2 :(
>>
>> You may submit PR (I would do -- just have no time whatsoever these
>> days).

JV> I've been having similar problems for some time with a completely
JV> non-Java-related application I'm trying to port.  You may want to look at the
JV> following two PRs which seem to describe the problem:

JV>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20966
JV>   http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=21983

JV> Hmm, I see one of them has now been closed.  Time for me to go back and see
JV> if the brokenness has been fixed.

Well, first one seems to be unrelated (and it's the one which is
closed).

The second one is closer. Though, when jdk1.2.2 port compiles its
shared libraries, it adds -lgcc, and libgcc is compiled in (may be,
it is the way you go with your shared C++ libraries?).

It was just that old libgcc.so (which laid there in /usr/lib, not
touched by installworld) was linked in. I removed it, rebuilt jdk
-- now it's fine.

So, it is just about world upgrades which doesn't touch old binaries.
And those old binaries might accidentially be used and cause problems.

---
Disclaimer: "These opinions are my own, though for a small fee they be
yours too."
                -- Dave Haynie