Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 18:12:14 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        andreas@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What do you think of the new 3COM cards with X-Jack ?

In message: <20030914215415.GA22164@titan.klemm.apsfilter.org>
            Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org> writes:
: On Sun, Sep 14, 2003 at 03:40:38PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20030914094841.GB11283@titan.klemm.apsfilter.org>
: >             Andreas Klemm <andreas@freebsd.org> writes:
: > : 2) My 16 Bit Xircom card doesn't run anymore under -current...
: > :    Its a Xircom Realport Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 aka REM-56G-100.
: > :    Has perhaps the xe driver got the same performance enhancements that
: > :    broke the xl driver ??
: > :    What do you think do I need to do, to get it working again
: > :    under -current ?
: >
: > Bummer.  xl has nothing at all to do with xe.  I've just upgraded the
: > pccard bridge code to be more pedantically correct for attribute
: > reading, which helps some xircom cards.  Scott Mitchel (?) has a pr
: > with better patches for current that I need to integrate into the
: > tree.
:
: Then I got something wrong,  when Matthew talked about MMIO...
:
: "These cards don't like MMIO, which was made the default a while back."
:
: I assumed, this might have been enabled in the xe driver as well.
: But my feeling tells me now, that MMIO perhaps has no relationship
: to older 16-bit cards ...

I think you may be a little confused as to the scope of the change.  A
while ago, the xl driver preferred to use the I/O ports.  Now it (and
only it) prefers to use mmio.  The xe driver hasn't changed much in a
long time, and still only uses I/O ports as best as I can recollect.
The default changed when mux changed the xl driver.

Warner