Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 95 23:05 PDT
From:      kkoay@lightside.com (Kok K. Koay)
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: Seeking brief beginning advice for how to get started with FreeBSD

>Hello,
>I have been trying to find out how to contact a group called Free Software
>Foundation, because I have been wanting to get started with Unix on my home
>computer.  I program business applications for a living and am considered one
>of the more technically capable people in my dept. at work, but don't really
>know how to get started with "straying away" from the ol' DOS and Windows and
>adding the ability to run an entirely new OS to my (486DX266 Intel, 8Meg,
>VLB/IDE/420 Meg) system.
>Can you steer me to a good book that would give me an idea how to get started
>if I want to add something like FreeBSD to my system?
>Thank you for your time in reading this!

This might look a little bit out of place, but it is easier to start out
with Linux because it has more documentations than FreeBSD. "The Linux
Bible" is a very good book for starter and it covers quite detail in every
major aspect of Linux. In certain areas, it also apply to FreeBSD with minor
variations but overall it will get you started and move to FreeBSD. You can
get both FreeBSD and Linux CD-ROM and "The Linux Bible" from Walnet Creek
CDROM (1-510-674-0783 or info@cdrom.com). Believe me, it is not as easy as
it look  to get FreeBSD up and running even though I have very extensive
knowledge in Unix. Most of the problems are from hardware incompatibility
and required some jumper settings in order to make it work. Some are from
the minor
variations in OS implementations and the hardest of all is the limited
documentations.
I hope this will help you getting started. BTW you can browse the Walnet
Creek CDROM
www server for more info by connecting to www.cdrom.com.