Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 2002 21:13:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Quincey Koziol <koziol@ncsa.uiuc.edu>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Filesystem books?

Howdy,

> > There is one more on distributed file system design that I have, but it
> > is not on my bookshelf here in my office.
>
> One of the better references is the optional purchase
> AIX File System Driver Writer's guide, which includes
> documentation on the AIX GFS interface (their VFS switch),
> and a floopy with sample code on it.  It's a two volume
> set and used to go for about $80.  It covers a lot of
> the practical philosophical aspects.
    Hmm, how would I track this down?

> There's always an Internship at Veritas.  8-).
    Well, I've already got a full-time engineering job, so an internship is
out, but I would think about a position there... ;-)

> The other real place is the IEEE SIG on file system
> design, and the IEE publications there.  Unless you
> are an IEEE member, you can't get these, though, but
> the publications should be in any large technical library
> (e.g. UC Berkeley, IBM Watson Research Center, but probably
> not your County or City library or community college library),
    Ah, we've got a world-class library here at UIUC, so I should be able to
track down papers easily.  However, I tried to find a file system SIG at the
IEEE web-site and can't put my finger on anything... Would you happen to have
a link handy?

> My personal preference is to look at technical reports
> and scholarly publications:
>
> 	http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/cs
>
> Use the search term "filesystem", and you will get 499
> documents.  Use the search term "file system", and you
> will get 3981.  I'll avoid listing them here.  8-).
    :-)  Thanks, I'll start sifting through them..

        Quincey