Date:      Tue, 02 Jul 1996 12:58:18 -0400
From:      Gary Chrysler <tcg@ime.net>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: src tree owners

James Raynard wrote:

> > > Is it safe to chown the src tree so one can use it without
> > > having to be su.
> > >
> > > Is there a `proper` way for this?
> >
> > Why?  You have to be su to write to anything in there by default (and I
> > know this from many personal experieneces forgetting to su to root before
> > editing my kernel config :-).
>
> Erm, perhaps that was why he was asking? :-)

Thanks James.. :)

> In any event, you have to be root to be able to *install* anything
> you've built from the source tree, so there doesn't seem to be a great
> deal of point in changing it.

Yes, I understand the need to be root for install. No problem.
But what about general editing of the source.
I would like to make it so *I* don't have to su.
It's very anoying to get into tweaking a source file, Go to save
and it pops up `Read Only`!

I know, su'ing first will solve that problem.. :)

> On Unix, the `proper` way is for configuration files to be owned by
> root - it's not a good idea to allow just anybody to change them!

I Agree! My question was/is about the Source tree!

-Enjoy
Gary
Improve America's Knowledge... Share yours
The Borg... Where minds meet
(207) 929-3848