Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:11:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2nd call for testers for RealTek 8139 driver

This is another call for testers for the RealTek 8139 fast ethernet
driver. So far I have only gotten one (1) response to my first call
for testers (Hi Mark!). C'mon guys: there's got to be a few of you
lurking out there who got stuck with some of these cheap cards. Now's
your big chance to put them to good use.

Things that have changed since the first announcement:

- Fixed a small bug in the receiver code: if the packet header ends
  up being the last thing in the receive buffer, account for this
  properly and loop back to the head of the buffer to start copying
  the actual packet data. This fixes a possible 'tried to copy 0
  bytes' error that could occur once in a while. (I had actually fixed
  this once already but the change got lost while I was zipping back
  and force between different code versions.)

- Default to using PIO for register access since memory mapped mode
  seems to cause SMP machines to wedge.

- Add support for another RealTek device.

If you have a RealTek 8139 or 8129, please download and test the
code from:

http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek/3.0	FreeBSD 3.0 source code
http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/RealTek/2.2	FreeBSD 2.2.x source code

Note that I only have an 8139 adapter so I don't know for sure than
an 8129 will actually work. If you have one and it doesn't work, please
let me know. If it does work, let me know too.

To add the RealTek driver to your system, do the following:

- Copy if_rl.c and if_rlreg.h to /sys/pci (make sure to get the right
  source for your system: the 2.2 code is for 2.2.5, 2.2.6, 2.2.7 and
  2.2.7-STABLE; the 3.0 code is for FreeBSD-current).
- Edit /sys/conf/files and add a line that says:

pci/if_rl.c             optional rl device-driver

- Edit your kernel config file (e.g. /sys/i386/conf/GENERIC) and add a
  line that says:

device rl0

- Config and build a new kernel and boot it.

Please report any successes or failures to wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu.
Act now: supplies are limited. Operators are standing by.

-Bill