Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 10:35:54 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about wc on for NON-critical workstation (no flamebait)

Jason Andresen wrote:

> j mckitrick wrote:
> >
> > For day to day use (programming, netscape, email, etc) will wc on show any
> > performance improvement?
>
> It's hard to tell.  You might try switching it on for a week and see
> if YOU notice any difference.  If it doesn't seem to do anything for
> you, then just turn it back off and leave it be.
>
> I suspect you will see speedup in your compiles and extractions.
> Anything that has a lot of disk write activity is likely to be
> sped up by enabling the wc, but how much speedup you can actually
> feel will depend on your machine and you.

My buildworld on a dual 866 coppermine system went from 42 minutes to 29
minutes. The other side effect was the -j8 parameter finally did
something. Before that anything from -j2 on, actually made the
buildworld run longer. I think the cpu's were starved for I/O. The
system is built around 3-ATA-100 Maxtor 30GB HD's. The motherboard is a
VP6 and each HD is on its own controller. Using raid-0 also slowed the
compile down.

Kent

> --
>   \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
>  |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer
> _|  _|___|  _| _|_\___| Office: 703-883-7755

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

Cool site
http://www.bmwfilms.com