Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 19:27:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wouter Van Hemel <wvhemel@vub.ac.be>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Please review: NTP section for Handbook

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Tom Hukins wrote:

> The Handbook doesn't currently contain any information on how to use
> NTP to synchronise a computer's clock.
>
> I've put together some information which I hope can be incorporated
> into the "Advanced Networking" section, and I'd appreciate feedback
> before I commit anything.
>
> The Docbook source is at http://people.FreeBSD.org/~tom/tmp/ntp.sgml
>
> - Have I missed anything out, or explained anything badly?

This is just nit-picking, but maybe you should mention that without the
'restrict' keyword in ntpd.conf, people are opening themselves up as a
timeserver to everyone on the net, while that may not be their intention.

Also, maybe you could add a NOTE: in the 'temporary Internet
connection'-section that many providers block ports < 1024 on dynamic ip
hosts, which makes it impossible to run the ntpd-server, since replies
never reach your machine.

I think that this documentation was pretty much needed indeed, nice job!

/ wouter