Date:      Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:25:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Colin <cwass99@home.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Edward Gold <edgold@mindspring.com>, "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

On 08-Mar-2000 Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> And as you've seen by subsequent discussion, it's impossible
> to derive a "one size fits all" solution for something like /var.
>
> I would expect this to come out of the "I know where you want it, now
> what kind of install will this be?" question which the newbie
> installer gets to answer second.  If they pick "mail server" from
> the menu then /var will get a totally different ratio % assigned
> to it.  If they pick "personal workstation" then 20MB is, if anything,
> perhaps a little high.

     I might be completely out in left field somewhere, but I don't see that
the defaults should be that important.  We're discussing what is fundamentally
a server oriented system, and realistically we have to assume some minimum
level of understanding on the part of the person(s) installing it.  From
experience I can say that commercial Unix knowledge translates very quickly to
FreeBSD, including the basic concepts behind partitioning a disk, so for a
(resonably experienced) server administrator there should not really be an issue
here.
     If you owned a company, would you want someone who didn't at least make an
effort to research the system requirements prior to install running your mail
servers?  Even in the M$ world, it's become abundantly clear that setting up
any kind of server requires a serious investment in time and effort and
learning.  Who are we to deprive the newbies of that adventure ;)
     For those setting it up to experiment/learn, the defaults worked okay for
everybody I've helped get started.  In those types of situations, a couple of
re-installs should probably be expected, anyway, as the newbie inadvertently
breaks things ("I was told that find / -exec rm {} ';' would free up lots of
disk space by a friend of mine who uses Linux...").  Especially using server
software as a desktop OS.
     I guess I'm saying that the auto partitioning scheme is fine, although
arguably not optimum for a desktop.

Cheers,
Colin