Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 17:27:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Brian Dean <brdean@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to shut down a TCP connection

:Hi,
:
:I'm doing TCP development on a custom operating system that I've
:written and am using my FreeBSD box for testing my TCP stack.  I'm in
:the early stages right now and I have a lot of bugs.  One of my bugs
:is that I shut down a connection on my end but I'm doing something
:wrong and the connection on the FreeBSD side stays up, i.e.:
:
:[bsd@vger]:/net- netstat
:Active Internet connections
:Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address         Foreign Address       (state)
:tcp        0      0 vger.telnet           bos.5000              ESTABLISHED
:
:'vger' is my FreeBSD machine and 'bos' is my experimental OS.  The
:connecton on 'bos' at this point is actually closed.
:
:Does anyone know how I can manually shutdown the above connection on
:'vger' short of waiting a really long time or rebooting?
:
:Thanks,
:-Brian
:--
:Brian Dean			brdean@mindspring.com

    Turn on keepalives and set the parameters really low so the connection
    times out after a couple of minutes.  Experiment.  Remember that the
    below will effect all your TCP connections, so don't make the timeout
    too low.

	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive=1
	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=60
	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepinit=60
	sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.keepidle=300

    If the FreeBSD side is still in the ESTABLISHED state, it is not
    getting a FIN or not getting a proper FIN.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>