Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 09:35:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu>
To:        (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami) <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc-jp@jp.freebsd.org, doc@freebsd.org, Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Default FDP docs installation directory?

On 19-Aug-99 Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
>  * > fdp is even uglier, and I can't recall anyone other than you using
>  * > that particular acronym.
>  *
>  * Alternatives?  "docproj"?  "doc-proj"?  "doc-project"?  Something better?
>
> I don't think we need a subdirectory.

I agree.  /usr/share/doc is where it has always been, and that's where everyone
will be looking for them, so moving it to /usr/local would violate POLA in a
big way.  doc/ is definitely part of the base system.  Moving it out to
/usr/local will only give the impression that there is no authoritative
documentation for FreeBSD, not what we want to be saying, IMHO.

>  * That will lead to /usr/share/doc/en_US.ISO_8859-1/
>  *                                  es_ES.ISO_8859-1/
>  *                                  ja/
>  *                                  papers/
>  *                                  psd/
>  *                                  ru_RU.KOI8-R
>  *                                  smm/
>  *                                  usd/
>  *                                  zh_TW.Big/
>  *
>  * and so on.  We can do it, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea.
>
> Maybe move papers, psd etc. to the English subdirectory too?

I think that would be a good move, too.  You could probably stick the papers/
under articles/ and smm/, usd/, and psd/ would fit in nicely under books/.
Then the translation teams could work on translating them if they so desired
(and if its legal, of course).

>  * I stress that doesn't mean we won't do it, just that I don't think it's a
>  * good idea.  However, if the consensus on this list is that it's a good
>  * idea then we can do that.

I think the overwhelming consensus on this list is that it is not a good idea.
And since it is a simple makefile tweak thanks to the new system, if later on
we do decide to move it the change is trivial.  I don't think this is a battle
worth fighting at the moment.

>  *
>  * Of course, it would also be possible during "make install" time to
>  * designate one language as the default, which could lead to
>  *
>  * /usr/share/doc/articles@ -> en_US.ISO_8859-1/articles/
>  *                books@ -> en_US.ISO-8859-1/books/

This could be good as well.  Even a similar FAQ/ and handbook/ symlink might be
a good idea.  Although, I don't want to get too buried in spaghetti soup.

> Satoshi

---

John Baldwin <jobaldwi@vt.edu> -- http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/
PGP Key: http://members.freedomnet.com/~jbaldwin/pgpkey.asc