Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 20:50:42 -0800
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        www@freebsd.org, core@NetBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Related Operating System Projects

On Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:11:36 -0800
 "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> wrote:

 >        <li><a
 > -       is a very close relative of FreeBSD.</li>
 > +       is another free 4.4BSD-Lite based operating system which
 > +       runs on several different architectures.</li>
 >
 >        <li><a
 > -       is derived from NetBSD and supported by a group of former
 > -       NetBSD developers.</li>
 > +       is another group based on NetBSD's code base and supported
 > +       by a different group of developers.</li>
 >
 > ?
 >
 > Just say the word and I'll commit it.

Those are better, but I'd still prefer to not mention NetBSD
in the OpenBSD bullet.  See below...

 > Well, I do beg to differ slightly - it is strongly *based* on NetBSD,
 > and you see references to NetBSD this or that all over the place.  The
 > projects may not be related, but it's still valuable information for
 > the user to be told that it's not something truly unique and
 > different, it started as a NetBSD offshoot and is still a very very
 > similar product in many respects, no?

There is too much confusion surrounding the NetBSD/OpenBSD issue.
While it is true that the OpenBSD project is originally based on a
pre-1.2 NetBSD source tree, they have diverged since then, and have
not tracked NetBSD as fast as it changes.

Jason R. Thorpe
NetBSD Core Group
<thorpej@NetBSD.ORG>