Date:      Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:36:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        patl@phoenix.volant.org
Cc:        ac199@hwcn.org, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: My verdict on 2.2.7...

On Fri, 24 Jul 1998 patl@phoenix.volant.org wrote:

> Ok, let's take long distance.  Long distance carriers are currently
> touting their 'ten cents a minute' plans.  So a 20 hour download
> would cost $120.  Local rates for a business line run around five
> cents a minute, which would cut it to $60.  Local residential rates
> are a bit more complex; but could drop it under the CD price.  (Going
> to a 4 CD set kicked the price up enough to make the equation more
> reasonable.)

You actually want to argue this!?

Okay...

Deal with local calls first.

Local rates for a business is: zero cents @ minute.  They only
need to cover the monthly fee and their Internet access.  'net
costs can vary, but I'll take what I pay: $25 for 200hours (if
you check my ISP's homepage it'll say 150hours, but it's wrong
:).  I'll discount the monthly line fee, since that's a prereq
for owning a business in the first place.

That's 12cents an hour.  That means a business will pay something
on the order of $2.40 cents to download FreeBSD.

The case for a non-business (in this case, me) works out to be
about the same.

Okay, what about the long-distance case?

Well, we'll keep the same ISP.  Nevermind that this particular
ISP happens to have connection points in most major centres,
we'll still make the ld call home.

My reference to long-distance was perhaps unfair.  Because
someone in this house works for Bell (the phone company), our
phone bill gets chopped in half.  Since the exchange rate makes
the CDs $60 (non-subscription), it'll be close.

However, if you can find a bulk reseller with lines that are
high-quality enough to use a modem over, you'll be able to beat
the CD price no problem, I believe.

Of course, this is totally unreal.  Internet access is available
within the local calling area for almost everyone now-a-days
(still keeping the same caveat about "Uh, I don't know where you
live, but..." :).  There is simply no comparison at all for the
local case.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.