Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 21:28:14 +0100
From:      roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail (Re: non-root users binding to ports < 1024 (was: Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2

According to Joe Greco:
> on just how compatible Qmail strives to be.

Not that much. Many switches just make the sendmail wrapper puke. It
doesn't support ESMTP and its extensions, logs are not at the same level as
sendmail (I like sendmail's a lot).

Qmail is certainly interesting (good design, small programs and so on) but
has for me too many flaws (no UUCP support at all, funky configuration
system with zillions of ".qmail-*" files -- I really hate 'em, no
ESMTP). As for security review, if you think sendmail's code is bad, try
qmail's sometimes.

--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
  FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #29: Sun Nov 24 16:05:46 MET 1996