Date:      Fri, 1 May 1998 20:58:33 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <pb@fasterix.freenix.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: NetBSD network code improvements

[ discussion copied to freebsd-net, please remove -current when replying ]

On Fri, May 01, 1998 at 02:13:51PM -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> We should think carefully about what WE actually WANT to do (which is
> not necessarily the same as what NASA is paying Jason to do).

I think A lot of their stuff is generally useful, the MTU discovery
stuff for example (although I don't exactly know what is in -current
and maybe we don't need to integrate NetBSD stuff).

The fast forwarding stuff is useful for people using FreeBSD as a
fast router. It is modular enough that I ported it in 2 hours, and
I'm currently running it. Everything is in one file (ip_flow.c)
and you just need to add hooks calling it when receiving packets
from the interfaces. Works ok for me so far between PPP and my
ethernet (which doesn't say much about the performance improvement
:-)). I'll send the patches to the list soon. The only problem that
I see is that it clutters up the kernel even if you don't use it
(in NetBSD, it is compiled in only if you have the GATEWAY option,
but you can't do that in FreeBSD since it's a kernel configuration
variable). We should probably make it an explicit option but other
than that I don't see any reason for not taking it.

The bpf stuff is useful for userland application programmers. My
understanding is that it's the same for the socket zero-copy stuff.
I haven't looked at these yet.
--
Pierre Beyssac	      pb@fasterix.frmug.org pb@fasterix.freenix.org
{Free,Net,Open}BSD, Linux : il y a moins bien, mais c'est plus cher