Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 15:11:05 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Modelling complexity (was: Re: matthew dillon)

Dave Hayes wrote:
> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> > Dave Hayes wrote:
> > [ ... Blah blah blah ... ]
>
> No wonder you have problems debating. I've said none of the above that
> you've attributed. Obviously you are unable to read what I wrote
> and meaningfully duplicate it in your head. =)

I had a long message prepared to send, which refuted the naieve
assertions in your previous message, but I did not send it.

> > [ huge list of books ]
>
> Thank you.

That's not a "huge list of books", that's "two weeks worth of
reading, four if you insist on going through all the math yourself".

> >> This is obviously false, since people constantly behave otherwise.
> >> Regardless, this should never be true, since technology is a servant,
> >> not a master.
> >
> > Tell that to gravity.
>
> You are telling me gravity is a technology?

No, I'm telling you the constraints of the technology available
for use have the same effect on its application as the laws of
physics have on people.

For example, if all mail servers will only accept 5 messages
per hour, and you are constrained to send outbound messages
through your ISP's mail server, then no matter what kind of mail
client you have, the maximum number of messages you will ever be
able to send is 5 per hour, period.  It might as well be a law of
physics, as far as you are concerned.

-- Terry