Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 19:19:58 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2xPIIIx450 results & NFS results (was More benchmarking stuff...)

At 9:58 AM -0700 1999/9/17, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     It seems pretty clear to me that this benchmark has been designed
>     to show-off the netapp in the best possible light and its competitors
>     in the worst possible light.  Well, ok, that may be an overly-harsh
>     assessment, but it is still true to some degree.  The benchmark is
>     seriously flawed.

	Might I then request that you help rewrite it so that it performs
a much more comprehensive testing of OS/filesystem throughput?
Myself, I'd really love to see something that lets you seriously
stress your system along the lines of Greg Lehey's rawio, but instead
at a higher level.  IMO, bonnie sucks worse than postmark, although
they're measuring different things.

	Although it should certainly be forking, whether forking or not I
can tell you that creating huge directories is not necessarily a bad
simulation of a heavily-used mail server.  I've seen mail servers
with over 100,000 files in /var/spool/mqueue, both at former
employers (like AOL), and at former customer sites (such as some of
the largest freemail providers in the world).

	I can't speak for anything else that the program is supposedly
testing, but at least this aspect of performance is one of the most
common, and yet most easily dealt with, problems I have run across in
all my years of managing large mail systems.

	That's why directory size is #1 on the hit parade in the
presentation I occasionally give entitled "Sendmail Performance
Tuning for Large Systems", most recently given at SANE'98.  See
<http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/papers/sendmail-tuning/>; if you
want copies of the slides.

|o| Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>            Belgacom Skynet NV/SA |o|
|o| Systems Architect, News & FTP Admin      Rue Col. Bourg, 124   |o|
|o| Phone/Fax: +32-2-706.11.11/12.49         B-1140 Brussels       |o|
|o| http://www.skynet.be                     Belgium               |o|
  Unix is like a wigwam -- no Gates, no Windows, and an Apache inside.
   Unix is very user-friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are.