Date:      Thu, 17 Feb 2000 14:29:06 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Hank (Henry) Miller" <millerh@anubis.network.com>
To:        freebsd-qa@freeBSD.org
Cc:        hank miller <hank@black-hole.com>
Subject:   3.4->4.0 update comments

attempted to update my system from 3.4 to 4.0, and have not had success.

Started with CVSUP,
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
rebooted to single user - so far so good.
make installworld  This failed with something in install-info.  I'm not
sure that this isn't something leftover in the CVS tree on my system or a
bug, if nobody else sees it I'll assume something myfault.  (Unfortunatly
it scrolled off the screen as each makefile failed, and I can't remember
the process to pile stderr to a file.

Went with plan of attack two: build two disks with the feb 14 snapshot.
ran out of space on /
hmm... deleted all the old kernels around, since they shouldn't work
anyway.  4 kernels and a few small misc files, and I'm stuck.

Now I'll grant that / is not big on my system (30 meg? more then 20, not
more then 35) but / then / shouldn't need to be big.  I only used 68% of /
before. /usr, /usr/local, and /var are different partitions with plenty of
space.  (also several non-OS partitions)

Are files in / really that much bigger then 3.x?  If so it should be
documented since I'm sure I'm not the only one with a small / partition.

Fortunatly I have a 1 gig partition that is completley unused, I'll spend
some time tonight on my partition scheme and then retry the upgrade.

--
Henry Miller henry_miller@storagetek.com        StorageTek
(612) 391 - 1271   www.storagetek.com        INFORMATION made POWERFUL