Date:      Thu, 2 Mar 2000 12:45:35 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crash on boot when disks are present?

Folks,

	This one is so weird that I don't have the foggiest clue how I'd
go about searching the archives for answers.  Searching for "crash on
boot" netted me way more hits than I care to try to count.

	I've got a FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE system (cvsup'ed a couple of weeks
ago) that I've been doing some tests with and it has been working
pretty well up until now (after I got the issues of which PCI slots I
can plug SCSI controllers into ;-).

	Anyway, the vendor field engineer for our disk drive array (one
of those expensive mainframe-style refrigerator-size models) came in
this morning to try to fix some problems we're having with it not
recognizing all the RAM that is installed, and among other things he
did a firmware upgrade of the controllers, and while we were at it we
also deleted all the existing RAID groups and created some new ones,
with new logical units associated, etc....

	I've gone in and made sure that the BIOS has been changed (yet
once again) to try to boot off the internal Quantum Atlas-IV drive
that is attached to the AIC-7890 controller, because the external
drive array does not have the OS installed, etc....  Unfortunately,
when I try to boot with the drive array turned on, it crashes hard
(during the bootloader phase, I think), displaying the following:

F1    DOS
F2    FreeBSD
F5    Drive 1

Default: F2

-
int=00000000  err=00000000  efl=00030083  eip=00000004
eax=000004e3  ebx=0000097f  ecx=0000dc00  edx=000034be
esi=0000dc00  edi=00000004  ebp=00000000  esp=000004ce
cs=c800  ds=c800  es=9e7d    fs=0000  gs=0000  ss=9e7b
cs:eip=d4 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
ss:esp=00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00-00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

	I hope I got this right -- I don't have a serial console attached
to the machine, so I had to type this in manually.

	Anyway, when I turn off the external drive array, it boots fine.
I know I need to expand /var to accomodate /var/crash, but I don't
think that this would actually generate a crash dump, for which this
would be useful.

	Other than having the guy come back out to "upgrade" the
controller firmware version back to what it was, does anyone have any
other advice that they can give me as to what I might be able to do
to debug the problem?

	Thanks!

--
  These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>       Sys. Arch., Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin

Note: No Microsoft programs were used in the creation or distribution of
this message. If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible for any harm you may encounter as
a result.

See <http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/twelve-step.html>; for
details.