Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:10:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Seeking reviewers for letter about BSD

Last night, I read an article in April's (2001) Dr. Dobb's Journal about
Linux. This article used the L-word to describe software and
environments that are definitely not limited to just Linux. The column
also said "the only viable alternative to using Windows on the x86
platform is Linux". (The author didn't explain "viable", but he did share
some of his Linux goals and needs.)

I know that DDJ has actively covered BSD in the past, but I am surprised
that articles in recent issues imply (and assume) that Linux-based
operating systems are the only or main operating systems to be built upon
open source and free software; in addition, some DDJ articles seem to
imply that Linux is the only or main alternative OS.

I am looking for some people to review my "letter to the (DDJ) editor".
This letter says there are other alternatives and quickly explains a few
important and interesting facts about BSD. If you are interested in
reading and providing feedback on my letter (before I mail it), please
send me an email off-list.

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://bsd.reedmedia.net/