Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 20:00:26 -0400
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        rminnich@Sarnoff.COM
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filemalloc etc. for shared memory between processes

  > These allow you to set up a shared mapped file for use by multiple
  > processes in the malloc and calloc style. Tested and used
  > extensively in my latest DSM. Comments would be appreciated if
  > I've made mistakes in here!  note that if the file exists it is
  > used.

What about using one mmap'd region, then dividing it up malloc-style
(see Knuth) instead of constanly mmapping lots of possibly tiny files?
It may be good to look at mmalloc (distributed with gdb) for using
malloc with mmap.  Another advantage of this is that the regions
filemalloc()'d can hold pointers as offsets to the start of the mapped
region that would hold valid for all processes.

--
http://www.wp.com/piquan --- Joel Ray Holveck --- joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu

Fourth law of computing:
  Anything that can go wro
.signature: segmentation violation -- core dumped