Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 01:56:56 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hosting my own domain.

At 12:32 AM +0530 5/7/01, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

>  Suppose I choose to forgo running a name server and use some dynamic name
>  services, then can I have subdomains like www or www2 etc ?

	No, not really.  If you use a dynamic name service, you're going
to get assigned something like rakesh.dyndns.org as your domain name,
and since your IP address will change each time you dial-in (and
you'll have to go through some sort of additional process to register
with your dynamic DNS provider to tell them what your new IP address
is), this means that you can't host your own domain (beyond what is
assigned to you), you can't have subdomains (because you aren't
running your own nameserver), etc....

>  Also, I want to have receive mail for rakhesh@mydomain.com,
>  ratish@mydomain.com etc, but don't want any ISP imposed limits (like space
>  etc), is the only way I can do that be by running my own mail server,
>  or is there something else ?  And if I am running my own mail server, and
>  have a dynamic IP (say, I use DSL), then can I use dynamic name services
>  for my purpose (to keep changing the MX records as well) ?

	If you use a dynamic DNS service, you pretty much give up all
that.  Yes, you could receive mail addressed to
user@rakesh.dyndns.org, and you could have your own machine set up to
handle all this mail (although you'd want to register with someone
that has a full-time connection to the 'net to serve as a backup MX
for you), but that would be about it.

	If you want more control than this, then you have to be willing
to pay more money for it.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@skynet.be>

/*        efdtt.c  Author:  Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>          */