Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2010 18:27:50 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: does anybody understand why install failed?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 03:02:24AM +0200, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:53:11 -0700, Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:
> > Having netwoking problems... .  hope this gets out.
>
> It does.
>

> The problem seems to appear when installing the ZFS boot loader.

	Which is?  I don't think I chose any boot loader when I
	installed this last November...

	glad this got out!  (I *do* have a base arrow on the console,
	but w hen I bring up my old ctwm wm, the arrow is still frozen.
	[This is on ethic; the stuff below is on my old desktop, tao.
	Nice to have at least one spare to experiment with.]

> > ===> sys/boot/i386/zfsboot (install)
> > btxld -v -E 0x2000 -f bin -b /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot/../btx/btx/btx -l zfsboot.ldr  -o zfsboot.ld -P 1 zfsboot.bin
> > btxld:No such file or directory
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386/zfsboot.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot/i386.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys/boot.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src/sys.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
> > *** Error code 1
> >
> > Stop in /usr/src.
>
> Are you performing the "make install" stage in single user mode
> as recommended? The btxld binary is /usr/sbin/btxld.
>
> If you're not using ZFS on your system, you can easily omit it
> by setting
>
> 	WITHOUT_ZFS=1
>
> in /etc/src.conf; refer to "man src.conf" for more details about
> the system's building control file, as there may be other things
> you intendedly want to switch off.

	I'll ck out the src.conf; never heard of it... thanks for the
	clue.

	Mm. I'm using very, very old instructions.  I used this last
Feb, but it dates from March, '04! ::

  cd /usr/src; \
make buildworld; make buildkernel KERNCONF=TAO; make installkernel KERNCONF=TAO;

  reboot ; then go single
  cd /usr/src; \
  make installworld;
  mergemaster