Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 14:06:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brant Katkansky <brantk@atlas.com>
To:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com (Joe Greco)
Cc:        brantk@atlas.com, jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> > > People will argue over whether to simply remove suid bits or to make it
> > > mode 000...
> >
> > How about something like this:
> >
> > pkg_control -safe sendmail		# remove s[i|g]id bits
> > pkg_control -disable sendmail		# make mode 000
> > pkg_control [-force] -remove sendmail	# remove the executable
> >
> > This much would be simple, I should think.
>
> It may be.  :-)  Make sure that you also add a
>
> pkg_control -enable sendmail		# fix it (unless was removed)
>
> too.

I thought that would be obvious, so I didn't mention it. :)

> Unsolicited advice:  it would be a good idea to generalize this
> functionality as much as possible.
>
> If I were implementing it, I might consider the use of data files to
> allow easy additions in the future... maybe something like
>
> /usr/share/misc/pkg_control/sendmail/{safe,disable,enable,remove}
>
> for base system packages.  Add on packages could also have a tree in
>
> /usr/local/share/misc/pkg_control/
>
> or something like that...  not that you need to do all that right now,
> but maybe plan for something like that down the road?  It would be a
> potentially good way to do it, IMHO.

I like it.  I have been thinking along these same lines; for the
time being I think I will go with what you have suggested.

Say, isn't anyone going to try and _stop_ me from taking
this fool's journey? :)

-- Brant Katkansky (brantk@atlas.com)
   Software Engineer, ADC