Date:      Tue, 13 May 1997 13:31:50 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, michaelh@cet.co.jp, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_de.c ????

Warner Losh stands accused of saying:
> All this talk reminds me of all of those silly NE2000 compatible cards
> that I have laying around useless since FreeBSD can't find them on
> boot.  Any idea how to make FreeBSD probe really hard for them?

Can you be more specific?  Are these PCI or ISA cards?  Which chip(set)?

If these are the stupid ones that use the external serial EEPROM then
either (if the prom is socketed) you can pull the PROM, read it,
crossreference it against the datasheet, and there you are.

Alternatively, just sit down and boot with -c, going through the possible
address values (0x280, 0x300, 0x320, 0x340, 0x360) looking for them.
Then repeat the process looking for the IRQ.

Or are these cards where you know the settings but they don't show up?

The 'problem' with probing wildly for 'ed' cards is just that you have
to kick them to make them talk.  If you kick something else instead, it
might get upset.