Date:      21 Dec 2001 12:00:15 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: should i be using sgml or xml?

Andrew McKay <andy@openirc.co.uk> writes:

> My thoughts, for what they are worth, are that I can see a small advantage
> in having XML as a potential doc output format, although I have yet to
> work out what advantage XML has over HTML for this kind of work.

Please excuse me if this is slightly off-topic (I'm not sure if I
understand the topic exactly), but a few months ago I used "tidy" to
convert my small web site to XHTML on the understanding (IIRC) that it
was XML that all recent browsers would render reasonably well (for
simple stuff like I have anyway).

The advantage I was after (but haven't used yet) was the ability to
use XML tools and library functions on it.

BTW, re XML in *.html files, it seems legit as long as it's XHTML
(or the W3C version of HTML after XHTML?).