Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:45:11 -1000
From:      "Randal S. Masutani" <randal@comtest.com>
To:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with BSD in embedded system!

On 26 Aug 99, at 11:19, Mike Smith wrote:

> > I'm using NetBSD / FreeBSD for a project that will use the
> > OS in an embedded enviorment.
> >
> > I load the kernel from flash, creates the kernel arguments
> > and starts the kernel. But the kernel dies somewhere in the
> > ``init386=B4=B4 routine. The kernel prints no error messages,
> > it just simply resets.
> >
> > The system we are using is as STPC Client (from SGS-Thompson),
> > the GLORIABD.
> >
> > What can be the problem?
>
> Almost anything.
>
> We understand that the STPC has problems running FreeBSD; we haven't
> been able to resolve the issues we have with the sample board we have.
>
> But the symptom you're describing is quite different; the only way you
> are going to be able to resolve your issue is to build a kernel with
> DDB enabled, break to the debugger at the top of init386 and then
> single-step your way through until it falls over.

I tested the STPC Client also, but it was on the older board just before
the Gloria board.  It worked fine with FreeBSD/PicoBSD,  but ISA and PCI
performance really sucked.  I did not encounter any of the problems you
have.  Make sure of any BIOS settings that may cause problems, you may
want to turn off cache to test that.  Also you may need to check how the
STPC chip and Super I/O chips are programmed, they may need to be
reprogrammed to a setting that FreeBSD may work with better.

We finally gave up on the STPC and decided to go with the AMD ELAN 410
chips we had better performance with them.

Randal