Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 22:09:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WinPrinters (was Re: keyboards)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, David Kelly wrote:

> Ok, time to change the Subject: anyhow as this is well past keyboards.
>
> As I said, it must have been backwards day, and it must have bit Chuck
> too.
>
> I didn't question whether or not one *could* use WinPrinters. We all
> know there are models supported by Ghostscript. What I wailed about was
> that manufacturers are not providing their proprietary drivers for Un*x,
> therefore such devices are presumably not being utilized to their
> fullest capabilities. Then again am not aware of a GrafPort (such as the
> Mac uses) or similar construct in Un*x allowing the programmer to easily
> make use of such a printer driver.

We all know about the existense of the extra-ordinarily unintelligent
Windows printers and modems, I'm trying to find out about *good* ink jet
printers that *aren't* in that class.  I just had a friend shove that
astonishing blowup of a 2X3" pic blown up to 8X10" size, on a InkJet with
glossy paper, and I don't like the idea that he can do something, of that
astonishing quality, that I can't.

Any one know of a really dense (I mean, *much* better than 300 dpi) ink
jet printer, that has a ghostscript driver?  Maybe I ought to go haunt the
Usenet Aladdin list?  (I hate Usenet).

Chuck Robey                | Interests include C programming, Electronics,
213 Lakeside Dr. Apt. T-1  | communications, and signal processing.
Greenbelt, MD 20770        | I run picnic.mat.net: FreeBSD-current(i386) and
(301) 220-2114             |       jaunt.mat.net : FreeBSD-current(Alpha)