Date:      Wed, 27 Mar 2002 17:52:34 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [press@apache.org: PRESS RELEASE: ASF Reaches Agreement with Sun to Allow Open Source Java Implementations]

From: "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>

> > > Apache Software Foundation Reaches Agreement With Sun Microsystems To
> > > Allow Open Source Java Implementations
>
> While it's excellent news for Java on FreeBSD in general, it won't actually
> help the porting effort much. The press release talks about new open source
> projects and not ports of Sun's code base.

I'd like to keep my eyes on TCK.  What I know about TCK is that a TCK
is provided for Java technology like Java 2 SE, Jini, MIDP and so
on.  Generally, an API set for Java may have a TCK for it.

As we know, only Greg can work on testing FreeBSD native Java 2 SDK
with the TCK Sun provided and the SDK has to pass the TCK until it is
released.  This obligation is annoying us, but it's a positive fact
that the TCK make the SDK solid and I'm sure the TCK is very important
for compliance with the JVM specification.

This announcement from Apache Software Foundation refers to
availability of TCK (TCK is called `Test' Compatibility Kit but it may
mean `Technology').  If we could access to the J2SE TCK, we can polish
the JDK more rapidly.  Furthermore, open-source Java implementations
like GCJ, ORP and Jikes RVM can become stabler and more reliable
quickly.

But, I am not hopeful of wider availability of J2SE TCK.  One concern
I feel is that the JVM specification has not been defined along the
JCP.  It is possible the JVM is not covered by this announcement.

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/