Date:      Sat, 1 Dec 2001 13:26:24 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Cc:        billf@mu.org
Subject:   Re: funding TCP stack rewrite

In article <20011130120008.G32521@elvis.mu.org>, Bill Fumerola
<billf@mu.org> wrote:
> the freebsd foundation is supposed to be an a not-for-profit
> organization that (amongst other things) delegates donated money to
> developers for this kind of work. at their current speed, they will
> be ready to provide such a service in the year 2018.

Bill, it's a real shame you felt the need to fire off one of your
uninformed potshots like this.

The FreeBSD Foundation has in fact been working very actively on
finalizing the license with Sun Microsystems for a FreeBSD version of
the Java Development Kit.  This involves lawyers on both sides, and a
lot of back and forth.  The folks at Sun have been very reasonable,
but they need to protect Sun's interests just as we need to protect
the FreeBSD project's interests.  Hence it takes some time to get the
terms of the license just right as far as both sides are concerned.
We think we are getting pretty close to having it all wrapped up.

We have deliberately held back from asking for more donations in
the meantime, because we'd like to be able to show the community
that we've accomplished something valuable for the project with the
contributions we've already received.

We chose the JDK license as our first project because it is
something that will benefit a lot of FreeBSD users and it requires
legally-recognized entities (which the Foundation is) as parties to
the license agreement.  We obviously don't have the resources to
tackle a dozen projects at once yet, so we are focusing our efforts.
You can rest assured that, with the support of the FreeBSD community,
we will be funding worthwhile development efforts in the future too.

John Polstra
Vice President
The FreeBSD Foundation