Date:      Tue, 02 Sep 1997 11:15:32 +0930
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CDROM drives in general

> That is interesting, it's a Goldstar 8X R508B, I think it cost me $125 at
> the time I bought it, there were actually also 16Xs for $139 but the were
> "Cheap Crap", and one of the reasons I bought the Goldstar was because
> they had actually printed on the outside of the box "Compatible with
> Win95, WinNT, DOS, and Linux", and you don't exactly see that alot when
> buying PC Hardware (Referring to Linux Particularily) -- Ofcourse if
> freebsd ran QUAKE it probably would of said FreeBSD not Linux.

1) FreeBSD does run Quake.
2) LG ("Goldstar") gear in that market *is* pretty bad.

Try NEC, Sony, Matsushita (aka Panasonic) or Toshiba, maybe Pioneer (aka
TEAC, aka CDC) and Phillips (if they're still in the market in your
area).

Most "consumer" CDROMs are pretty trashy to begin with, so don't get
your hopes up too far.  Note also that the audio and data paths are
completely separate, so there's little chance that the data buffer is
available to the audio playback hardware.

mike