Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2011 15:47:29 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Devin Teske <devin.teske@fisglobal.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD RC <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>, Dave Robison <Dave.Robison@fisglobal.com>
Subject:   Re: rc.d/named default pidfile

On 12/23/2011 09:17, Devin Teske wrote:
> Working on named(8) with a co-worker yesterday, we were surprised to see what appears to be a typo in the rc.d script in FreeBSD-8.1.

It's not a typo. The default location in FreeBSD, as specified in the
default named.conf for a very long time, is /var/run/named/pid. If you
choose to deviate from that you need to put the pidfile location in your
named.conf file (as you pointed out in your message, and which you
should be doing anyway).

hth,

Doug

--