Date:      Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:55:23 -0500
From:      "rob copsey" <robc@execpc.com>
To:        Trish <failte@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Invalid Partion - help on setting up loader

Hi, Trish;

This is a good question, and one that I've pondered too.

I think the people who developed the charter for this list

had premonitions of it becoming the "cliff notes" version

of the handbook for those who would intend to bypass the learning

process. So, in fairness to those who worked so hard preparing

the handbook and others who donate their time writing articles

and how-tos; this list isn't just a quick overview/summary.

Put yourself in the shoes of those before us who have taken

the initiative to give us such awesome resources at a click

of the mouse, would it give them a sense of fulfillment to

know that newbies were too lazy to read through the work?

All I'm saying is that as new members of this community we

should not burden the gurus with our day to day questions.

We should exhaust every possible resource before posing a

question. When we must pose a question, it should be well

written and concise; it should show that we've at least

taken every measure to solve the problem/issue prior to

seeking assistance.

Best Regards,
Rob

> Okay...I've been toying with this question for quite some time...ever
> since I over-optimistically subscribed to this newsgroup as a way of
> mentally preparing myself to do an install of freeBSD.
>
> Every time a person posts a how-to question in this group...they get
> directed elsewhere.  Just what IS this group for?  Seems to be that
> all you're allowed to do here is post such things as:
>
> "Hey...you're a newbie?  I'M a newbie too!!!"
>
> "You're having a tough time with freeBSD?  Hey...me too! But...I'll
> have to meet you in the OTHER newsgroup to tell you what KIND of hard
> time...."
>
> I've seen many people redirected, graciously, to the handbook (thank
> GOD there's a handbook...) and the "other" newsgroup.  Wouldn't it be
> quicker to simply say that the freebsd-newbies group is simply another
> way of saying... RTFM?
>
> Seems like this should really be a group where people come in and say
> "Hi...I'm Bob. I just installed freeBSD" and the rest of you go..."Hi
> BOB!!  RFTM!" and show him to the next room.  Well..unless his/her
name
> isn't Bob.
>
> Merry Christmas everybody (Happy Holidays to those of other
> faiths/cultures and those who are easily offended) and when I'm ready
to install freeBSD...I'll know there's a handbook...and