Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 12:00:16 -0700
From:      pete@kesa26.Kesa.COM (Pete Delaney)
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        pete@RockyMountain.rahul.net, davidg@Root.COM, davem@caip.rutgers.edu, freebsd-platforms@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD CD-ROM 2.0.5 - Any SPARC Porting Underway?

Jordan:

> > Could I ask (well, I suppose I can ask, but might not get) that the
> > idea that ``FreeBSD'' and ``NetBSD'' are compeating for market share
> > simply die in the minds of folks, and on the mailling lists.
>
> I don't think you'll get it, and not because of human intransience but
> from the simple facts of reality.  YOU may not see the two groups as
> in competition, but I can guarantee you that many influential members
> of both camps certainly do (they know who they are!).  You don't go to
> USENIX very often so you don't see what happens when members of the
> two groups collide (especially after some of them have been drinking
> :-) and berate one other, after which usually follows a general
> free-for-all since other passers by, hearing the conversation, join in
> to beat up BOTH sides for not getting together and just having ONE
> BSD.  It's a mess and you're not going to fix it by playing ostrich or
> asking others to do the same, I do know that much.

Brains come in different styles, some are highly integrated, other are
more like split personalities, when the guys have a few beers the frontal
cortex gets hit the hardest and you tend to see the other parts of our
personalities. Your observations at the USENIX conference is evidence that
their is competition in the lower brain function but it doesn't mean that
their complete personaility is competitive, their may be a part of their
personailty that is seeking to see the true nature of things hiding in their
frontal cortex that you are ignoring. Also this is not all of the "influential
members".  Since software can be a rather abstract subject, I suspect the
frontal cortex is highly involved, so I wouldn't take your observations of
the guys while they are plastered as a clear insight into their true nature,
but rather only a view of the more primal part of their nature that is in
the parts of their minds that have better vascularization and are less
dammaged by this drug. If you were to observe them under the influince of
other drugs I think you would get other perceptions of their true nature.

-pete