Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:34:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        brantk@atlas.com
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacing sendmail

> > It may be.  :-)  Make sure that you also add a
> >
> > pkg_control -enable sendmail		# fix it (unless was removed)
> >
> > too.
>
> I thought that would be obvious, so I didn't mention it. :)

Hey, if it's not in the requirements, it often doesn't end up in the
code, no matter how obvious it seems to the person writing the
requirements...  (a little problem often seen in software engineering).

I am glad we are on the same page  :-)

> > Unsolicited advice:  it would be a good idea to generalize this
> > functionality as much as possible.
> >
> > If I were implementing it, I might consider the use of data files to
> > allow easy additions in the future... maybe something like
> >
> > /usr/share/misc/pkg_control/sendmail/{safe,disable,enable,remove}
> >
> > for base system packages.  Add on packages could also have a tree in
> >
> > /usr/local/share/misc/pkg_control/
> >
> > or something like that...  not that you need to do all that right now,
> > but maybe plan for something like that down the road?  It would be a
> > potentially good way to do it, IMHO.
>
> I like it.  I have been thinking along these same lines; for the
> time being I think I will go with what you have suggested.

I am thinking about it in more detail...  I think mtree is a nice
solution for safe/enable/disable but I do not think it can deal with
remove...  anybody have any good recommendations?

Maybe those files are best done as shell scripts.

#! /bin/sh -

PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/etc; export PATH

cd /usr/sbin

mtree -e -U << EOF
/set type=file uid=3 gid=7 mode=0555 nlink=1
.               type=dir mode=0755 nlink=2
    sendmail        uid=0 mode=04555 nlink=3 size=245760
..
EOF

But obviously listing all the related Sendmail files.  Three mtree files
and one file with explicit rm -f's.  Might be OK.

> Say, isn't anyone going to try and _stop_ me from taking
> this fool's journey? :)

No.  Your intentions are noble and your cause is just.  :-)

(Martyrs are often remembered long after heroes are forgotten.)

Okay I will quit it with the inspirational thoughts!

... JG